Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
movie events at library to promote KIFF
The Library holds movie events for families, children, and social subjects, but there is a lack of Sundance quality movies for the rest of us.  The library catalog has many DVD titles that have won independent film festival awards, but unfortunately that's not a keyword one can search. 

Wouldn't it be great if there was a monthly movie event focused on the type of movies that KIFF fans would appreciate?

Here's a few titles that I've checked out in this category:
Blancanieves
Rubber
Wild Tales
Blast of Silence
Re-animator
Obselidia
Needful Things

Anyone want to join me at the library to request and or run a monthly event like this?

What about running the movies at a different venue?

What titles would you suggest for the list?
We actually used to run a series of "Monday Night Movies" at the Ragland the last few years, but there were several difficulties involved with the concept. That said, there are grant opportunities to fund something like this (and other film events we are already working on such as the Northwest Filmmakers traveling shorts program), it just takes time/effort, which I am at least short on right now.

Personally, I would rather us bring in independent films as I think that is closer to heart for us and maybe offers something people can't just rent or may have already seen. Smile
Art and Structure design studio - www.artandstructure.com
(02-23-2017, 02:04 AM)Art and Structure Wrote: We actually used to run a series of "Monday Night Movies" at the Ragland the last few years, but there were several difficulties involved with the concept. That said, there are grant opportunities to fund something like this (and other film events we are already working on such as the Northwest Filmmakers traveling shorts program), it just takes time/effort, which I am at least short on right now.

Personally, I would rather us bring in independent films as I think that is closer to heart for us and maybe offers something people can't just rent or may have already seen. Smile

I just got my monthly email from our Library on the events for March.  The Library subscribes to a site called Film Movement (http://www.filmmovement.com/) who ships them movies to show at the Library.  Nearly every month that I've been emailed about it, they have a foreign language film, and the fact that I've checked out better movies FROM the Library, in English, is why I was thinking KIFF's selection of movies for the public would be a welcome change.  Besides, "filmmovement.com" is from New York City... (that's a line in a movie I saw once)

How many KIFF made movies are available, and what other sources of independent movies can be tapped into?  At least a list of KIFF-recommened movies to suggest for the Library would be a start, and it might even save the Library money over their subscription to "filmmovement.com".
Ah, I think I see what you're getting at. Of Klamath made films, we only have shorts. Of local/regional, last year was the first year we showed features, and we showed 4 from filmmakers over the hill. SOFaM (Southern Oregon Film and Media...the group over there, similar to us but 10-20x our size) has a list of, and a library of, at least a couple dozen films made in the area.

We could certainly look at putting together a list of recommended movies.
Thread moved to the "KFMG and Web Site Discussion" category, as this is where we discuss KFMG events and other related things. The Projects category is more specific to particular filmmaking projects.
(02-25-2017, 02:17 PM)Art and Structure Wrote: Ah, I think I see what you're getting at. Of Klamath made films, we only have shorts. Of local/regional, last year was the first year we showed features, and we showed 4 from filmmakers over the hill. SOFaM (Southern Oregon Film and Media...the group over there, similar to us but 10-20x our size) has a list of, and a library of, at least a couple dozen films made in the area.

We could certainly look at putting together a list of recommended movies.

Looks like our Library is very willing to host KIFF-style movies...received this reply from Charla Oppenlander to my query:

"Hi Chris! I would be really excited to add some programming from the Klamath International Film Festival. I don’t think it would replace our Film Movement program, but probably could be added as an additional program.

The Film Movement program is a curated collection that promotes films that are outside Hollywood-mainstream movies. The selections come from all over the world, including the United States. You can look at their website here for more information: http://www.filmmovement.com/

Thanks for the suggestions. Let me know if you’d like to talk more about KIFF partnering with the library.

Charla"

What do folks want to do next?  Compile a list of movies for Charla to track down, or make picks from filmmovement.com, or show the films created by KIFF members?  I'm happy to be a library go-for to promote KIFF.

PS attached is a "Reader's Advisory" from the Library of movies that will be movies in the first half of 2017.

Attached Files
.pdf   books into movies.pdf (Size: 697.85 KB / Downloads: 33)
This Film Movement thing looks interesting. Let's dialog more on what we could do. Maybe we can catch up during the small house talk next weekend?
(03-04-2017, 11:23 PM)Art and Structure Wrote: This Film Movement thing looks interesting. Let's dialog more on what we could do. Maybe we can catch up during the small house talk next weekend?

Hi All,

Here's what I learned from talking to Charla at the Library, who is in charge of movie nights:  our Library is open to promoting KIFF.

She'd prefer that KIFF host a movie night, maybe twice a year, separate from the Film Movement movie night, and, she suggests that KIFF show it's own movies rather than movies already in the library collection (because people have already seen those movies and wouldn't come to the Library to see it again).  The library has a digital projector and Internet in a large room to show movies to groups.  The Library would announce KIFF events at the Library on it's calendar.

I know KIFF has planned promotions with Pelican Cinemas, so this is another opportunity for local exposure.

On a related note, I drilled through the Film Movement website and found a giant list of film festivals and groups, worldwide, and guess what--KIFF is not included yet, but Ashland and Mt. Shasta groups are listed.  See attached PDF for the list.

Hope this has been helpful.  Discuss at next Elmers's meeting?

Best,
Chris

Attached Files
.pdf   FIND BY AWARDSANDFESTIVALS.pdf (Size: 81.57 KB / Downloads: 27)